Ok.
I have to get this off my chest. The Cove was a skewed documentary.
I wanted to love it, I really did, but I just couldn't.
Reasons:
-unnecessary clips of funny and stupid looking facial expressions of fishermen
-Japanese man can only say two words (LETS MAKE FUN OF HIM FOR HIS LACK OF ENGLISH HA HA)
-interviewer asked loaded questions (I can't remember specifies but I assure you, they are logically fallacious)
-after being asked a loaded question, Japanese man stutters. This REALLY ticked me off. He probably doesn't know how to explain in English, not because he doesn't know how to answer. Why couldn't they just hire a translator instead? If he didn't have to struggle finding the right words in English, it would have completely changed the whole tone of the movie.
-comical sound bites during clips with fishermen and administrators
-lack of evidence AGAINST killing dolphins as pest control (not saying it's true but I'd rather see some numbers instead of hearing the white guy say, "Are you serious? PEST CONTROL? Come on!")
-demonizing the fishermen huddled around smoking and laughing like a mafia (they were probably on a lunch break; unnecessary footage)
-distracting lack of evidence with emotional images and music
-dolphins are smart and have feelings too, that is why this superior animal shouldn't be treated the way we treat all the other animals (aka kill, eat, shoot for fun)
-Seems to show how Japanese are heartless drones, highly doubt there isn't a group of active animal lovers there. (No animal activist groups here because they don't want to stand out, that's why we Americans are here to expose it for them. WE JUST WANT TO HELP)
-"poor japanese people don't even know what their country is doing to them we must save them and open their eyes for them because we are better". I don't know, that's kind of the hero message I was getting anyways.
So what about the way we murder our cows and piggies? The way we house our chickens that they can't walk? The way our meat gets e coli and our FDA has nearly no control over it? What exactly gives us the authority to say the way we kill animals is right and what they're doing to dolphins is wrong? There was a point made in the movie about Westerners telling other people what to do, and Japanese resisting. Frankly, I don't see why they wouldn't. Would we allow Japanese people illegally planting cameras in our meat industry and listen to them telling us we are murderers? I highly doubt that.
I haven't seen the other documentaries that were nominated for the Oscars, but I personally felt like it could have gone to something better. Maybe The Cove won because it makes the academy feel good about how white people are saving the day. I would love for the Japanese to do a documentary on American's deer hunting for fun and hanging up antlers as trophies in the living room. It would be called "Americans Slaughters Bambi, Japanese Breaks into Forest to Film the Murders".
On the other end, I did think it was a good documentary, didn't love it but I didn't hate it. There was a heartful message but I just didn't think it was portrayed in the best or fair way. I could go on about how it is great (such as promoting awareness to being proactive) but there's plenty of that out there. I only decided to voice my opinion about the downfall of the documentary when I tried to look for some on the internet and had no luck. So there's my opinion and procrastination from my studies. Back to my term paper I go.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah, I couldn't make it to the viewing. But I'm always skeptical of watching those kinds of documentaries. I hate it how America always has this mentality of "WE ARE AMERICAN THEREFORE WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY OR FIX WHAT WE THINK IS WRONG" That's just how I feel. I sometimes don't blame other countries for hating us, is that a mean thing to say? :/
Anyways! You have a blog! Sorry...I stalked you through facebook. -_- I see that you have an Etsy store, I love Etsy. :)
Post a Comment